My idea is loosely based on the traffic light idea, where students who misbehave gradually move their name from green, to yellow (warning), to red (consequence), with a big consequence for any more "violations" after that. Well, I was thinking of doing something similar, but employing a "target" with three rings, and putting all of the students' names on arrows. Everyone will start the day on the bullseye, and move their name to an outer ring if necessary. My plan was this: Red bullseye means you're doing fine; middle white ring is a warning; outer red ring will be a consequence (I was thinking they'll have to write out a plan for improving behavior in the future or preventing the problem from happening again). Then this is where I start to take issue. My plan for a class incentive each week was going to be 30 minutes of Friday Free Time (got this idea from my classmate who student taught across the hall from me). The class starts the week with a full 30 minutes, but can lose minutes (which can not be earned back) for not coming together when called, getting too loud, etc. Well, what I was thinking of doing was having the next level of consequence when you're completely "off target" be that you lose a minute of free time for the whole class (beyond that your parents would be notified or you'll make a trip to the office or something like that). Initially, I was thinking that this would, over time, help the students regulate each other as a class. But now I'm wondering if this would turn the whole class against a student who lost their minute and cause a divide. But again, that may be what some students need to keep themselves in line. I researched a ton of discipline times online and in books, but didn't really see any where eventually an individual student's behavior affected the whole class in this manner... however, I've seen teachers do this and believe it happened in many of my classes when I was in elementary school. My student teaching cooperating teacher employed a marble jar as a class incentive (once they earned all their marbles they got some kind of reward), and individual students could lose class marbles for their behavior when substitutes were there or for behavior during "specials" like art, gym, etc.
Any thoughts on this plan? I don't know how many people read this yet, but I'd really appreciate your input!
6 comments:
Well you have more real life experience than I do; however, I think this is one of those things that might work really well for some groups of students and then totally backfire for others. I think if you have the class that has that one consistent child who is always pushing and testing his or her limits then using peer pressure to try to help might only make things worse. If the group is more balanced though, I think this technique could work well to get the kids to help each other stay accountable. My advice would be to try it and see what happens but don't be afraid to make changes if your first plan fails.
Melba
P.S. Are you familiar with Love & Logic by Jim Fay? If not, google it...I'm required to read the book as part of my ST assignment and so far, it's actually quite practical!
Melba... I've just started to look into the Love and Logic thing and I will say I'm intrigued.
When I first started observing in classrooms, I was very uncomfortable with the "traffic light" techniques. Every teacher I observed used one or something similar. Every single one--even the teacher I respected most.
When I started student teaching, I was hesitant to use the light system in that room (I don't like the "shame" factor), but one day, I had to. Something had to give, so I used it -- and it worked. At that point I hadn't come up with a better system and it was what the students knew, so I just kept using it. I wanted to find a better alternative, but the fact is, it really does work for some students. Like you mentioned, though, it doesn't work for all. And you make a good point about possible effects on the group dynamic... that's what I'm worried about and that's why I wanted input.
And I mentioned the shame factor before -- I still don't like that, but the fact is that in the real world, our performance and contributions are compared to others (esp. in the workplace), so maybe it isn't that far of a stretch from reality???
Still just don't know.
I personally think taking something away from the whole class would cause more problems then it would prevent. You want to teach with dignity and respect. Perhaps you could take away just that student's time so it's an individual consequence? Nothing gets (Catholic School) parents into a tizzy like punishing the whole class for one student's problems.
I've managed a classroom with and without the color changing system. It just depends on the kids on how effective it is. If this is your first year teaching, I would recommend using something you know works, then adapting it from there.
Catholic school is so very different from public school too.
I hope that helps.
PS I taught for 8 years in the catholic schools and have been teaching for 4 years in the public schools.
myhopefulheart: Really REALLY good point about the parents! THANKS! It's remarkable how much knowledge about teaching you can gain through experience.... I consider myself lucky that someone was willing to give the benefit of the doubt and hire me!
So, maybe just that individual student should lose Friday Free Time...
I am not an elementary teacher, but classroom discipline is the same across the board- elementary and secondary.
I think what you are proposing is a lot of work- for you, and having been a first time teacher not that long ago! I know you need things that are easy.
Is there anything wrong with a warning- and then loosing your recess? It is easy- you get one chance- if you can't shape up after the warning- you loose free time or recess or whatever is valuable.
Again, I don't do elementary- but I always thought simple was easy.
You might also want to look at Tribes. It is a classroom management meets classroom relationship building type thing. I am Tribes trained but anyone can implement it in their class. It is a great way to build trust and respect in the classroom.
One other thought- loosing the Friday Free time- what happens if the student looses that on a Monday or Tuesday- they will feel there is nothing left to loose so why not go full force on the misbehaving. I think, and again, just what I have experienced, it needs to be an immediate consequence (ie- Morning recess you are sitting in your desk)- otherwise I don't know that it would have the same impact. Just a thought.
Post a Comment